Friday, May 30, 2014

Am I Too Turtle for the Turtle Club?

Wednesday night I attended my first book club Meetup in Wallingford. I learned two things quickly.

1) You put 26 awkward turtles in one room, and it can be very awkward. Case in point, the girl next to me asked me what I do for work. My reply was "I'm a pricing analyst and forecast analyst for a manufacturing company in Watertown." Brief, concise, and free of details no one cares about. Her reply? "Oh, you're one of those people who make my eyes glaze over when you discuss work." Ummm...ok? Also, when I initially walked into our reserved room, it closely resembled a much older version of a high school dance. Boys on one side, girls on the other, with some people awkwardly attempting to hug the outer perimeter of the room. Possible explanation: no one had an alcoholic beverage in their hand yet, and our ringleader hadn't yet arrived.

2) I can push my social anxiety to one side and have a good time. (With the assistance of the aforementioned alcoholic beverages.) I ended up making small talk (shudder) with a couple girls, and a more in-depth discussion with one other. I signed up to go to trivia in the middle of June, which is a maximum of 12 people. Hopefully it'll be easier to get to know people more in-depth in a smaller group. We'll see!

Now if I could only convince them a nerd game night is in order...

No comments:

Post a Comment